Stop me if you have heard this before. Phoenix Coyotes free agent captain Shane Doan has set a self-imposed deadline as to when he will either re-sign with the only team he has played for in the National Hockey League, or decide to move on from the desert and lace up his skates for a new franchise.
You must have heard that before, because I know that I have written it before.
In fact, too many times. The whole Doan saga is becoming quite stale.
Then again, this is the end of an offseason with a pending lockout on the horizon. I guess we should be all thanking Doan for dragging this out and still giving us something to watch for and follow as the September 15 date looms large, as that is the date on which the current collective bargaining agreement expires.
It now also happens to be yet the latest of many deadlines that Doan has said he will sign with a team by, as this has been going on since the middle of July. But this time, I am more inclined to believe that this time, Doan is serious. If he goes beyond that date, he could be jeopardizing how much he could make whenever a new CBA is reached.
Doan’s agent, Terry Bross – who has done the majority of the speaking for Doan throughout this free agent process – has basically guaranteed that his client is now less than three weeks away from deciding where he will play next season and beyond.
“Shane is going to sign a contract before the CBA expires on the 15th,” said Terry Bross. “[The situation with the Coyotes' ownership has to] be done before the 15th, otherwise we’re signing somewhere because we don’t know what the new CBA is going to look like, and I don’t know if it’s going to limit any scope of a contract, so we want to make sure we sign before then.”
The ownership situation in Phoenix has been at the heart of the indecision for Doan, as he has stated on numerous occasions that he would love to remain with the Coyotes, but it will depend on how things shake out with Greg Jamison taking control of the team from the league. If things do not go how Doan likes, he will consider an offer from another team, although it is being reported that he continues to negotiate with the Coyotes while weighing the deals he has already received from a handful of other teams across the league.
As Doan goes back and forth as to whether or not things will work out in Phoenix, he does have confirmed offers from the New York Rangers, Vancouver Canucks, San Jose Sharks, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Montreal Canadiens and Nashville Predators, and it is also worth noting that Doan reportedly has a four year deal worth roughly $30 million on the table from the Buffalo Sabres.